Saturday, August 31, 2013

Catalina 22 Motor Mount Repair Follow-up

I'll post some more photos, eventually, but, in the meantime, here is the follow-up report.

I had to use a hacksaw to cut off the heads of the motor mount bolts because the corroded aluminum "compression sleeves" had fused to the stainless steel bolts (see the photo to the left).  The outside diameter of the compression sleeves was 1/2", and the original bolts were 5/16". 

I initially searched for matching stainless steel tubing (no aluminum for me, thank you very much) at Ziegler's Welding in Olympia, but they had no match.  Instead, the guy at Ziegler's referred me to Parrot's Machine Shop, a block down the street.  The machine shop turned out to have some 1/2" stainless steel scrap tubing lying around, but with a 3/8" inner diameter.  That suited me just fine.  I paid just under $50 for the custom cut tubes, bought some 6" long 3/8" bolts and stop nuts from Olympia Supply, drilled out the original 5/16" holes in the metal side plates to make them 3/8", and had the whole motor mount reassembled within a day. 

Between the new stainless compression sleeves and my work on straightening the bent brackets using the big heavy vice, the refurbished motor mount functions better than it ever has before--and will probably outlive me!  Also, as this entire "sidetrack project" started with the need to extend the motor mounting board to accommodate our new Torqeedo 1003L electric outboard, I finished the job by using 3 cut sections of 2x6 wood to push the motor mounting board aft by a little over 5" (photos forthcoming).  Today, we reattached the motor mount to the boat, sealing it with some 3M 5200, and we were good to go. 

Finally, we were able to conduct sea trials using our Torqeedo 1003L on a Catalina 22 sailboat!

No comments:

Post a Comment